Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Greenfield Restaurant Pumpkin Pie

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Bowers-Johnson Recipe Collection

When I was growing up in Detroit during the 1960’s there was a Greenfield Restaurant on
Griswold St.
between
State St.
and
Michigan Ave
in the heart of Downtown.  It was one of the restaurants my mother would take me to for special lunches just for the two of us.  For me it was both a treat to have lunch with Mother and to eat at Greenfield’s.  My favorite lunch was the Salisbury Steak, Macaroni and Cheese with a slice of their fabulous Pumpkin Pie for dessert.  Little did I know that Mother’s trademark pumpkin pie recipe was from that wonderful restaurant.  I highly recommend that you use their crust for this pie as it really is the “special ingredient” that makes this pie so delicious.  Enjoy!

Pie Crust

1/4 pound (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup All-Purpose Flour (unsifted)

While butter is very hot, place all ingredients in the bowl of a mixer.  Mix at high speed for 30 seconds (will form into a smooth ball).  Pat immediately into a 9 inch pie pan that has been spread with shortening and then floured (the crust is rich – spreading pie pan with shortening and flour makes it easy to serve).  Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Filling

1 pound can Pumpkin
14 ounce can Eagle Brand Milk
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 large Eggs

Beat all together in a deep, narrow bowl for 4 minutes.

Pour into Pie Shell while it is in the oven (DO NOT TAKE SHELL OUT OF THE OVEN).  Bake for an additional 50-60 minutes with temperature REDUCED to 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment