Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Heart Healthy Snack Mix, Kay Johnson-Tomblin

I created this snack mix over 20 years ago.  The perfect blend of sweet, crunchy, salty snack that is actually good for you.  It is full of fiber, and antioxidants, helps lower cholesterol and is a heart-healthy alternative to potato chips and other snack options.  A staple in my pantry, always there when I need it.  Keep a jar in your desk for the mid-day emergency snack, take a bag with you when traveling (great for long trips), give away as gifts.  This is my most requested recipe.  Enjoy!

Note:  February is American Heart Month.  Heart disease is the #1 killer in America.  Learn the symptoms; you might just save your life.  http://www.americanheartassociation.com/ 




Ingredients

1 Box Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal (the blue box)

6-7 ounces Raisins
6-7 ounces Golden Raisins
6-7 ounces Dried Cranberries

12 ounces Chopped Walnuts
12 ounces Cashews (Halves and Pieces)
Or
12 ounces Lightly Salted Peanuts

Directions




Break cereal squares in half.  You can skip this step, but I prefer the smaller size and your mix will blend better with more servings.




Measure ingredients, I use a kitchen scale.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  I recommend mixing it by hand (I wear gloves for this step). 


I make two variations of this recipe; one mix with walnuts and cashews, the other with just peanuts.  Both are very good.



Store in air tight containers to retain freshness. 

2 comments:

  1. I just found about your blog this morning and already tried this recipe. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I'm so glad you like the Heart Healthy Snack Mix. It's one of Jeanie's favorites!

    ReplyDelete