Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Tomblin

I love to make this cake for parties.  It is a light and refreshing complement to any meal.  At a recent party my friend told me she wasn’t a fan of anything lemon except Lemon Meringue Pie, until she tasted this cake.  Not knowing that, I brought made the cake with her in mind thinking she would love it.   I was relieved to when she loved it!  You just can’t go wrong with this cake.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 box Lemon Cake Mix
1 small box Jell-O Instant Lemon Pudding (I use sugar free)
4 egg whites
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 cup water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Blend with mixer on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium for 2 minutes.

Grease and flour baking pan.  You can use any size baking pan you prefer (bundt and 13x9 inch pans work best).  Pour mixture in pan.

Bake in 325 degree oven.  30-35 minutes, until toothpick clean.

Note:  Top with any frosting you prefer.  I usually make a confectioner sugar glaze and drizzle over the top.  The cake is so flavorful it doesn’t need a heavy frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment