Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Village Banana Nut Bread

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Tomblin

Banana Nut bread was one of my father’s favorites.  Anytime I was in the kitchen baking, he would ask if I was making banana bread.  This recipe is rich in banana and very moist.  Great anytime of year, but particularly tasty in the Fall and Winter.  During the Christmas Season, I often give loaves of this recipe as hostess and coworker gifts.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 – ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 – ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 – ¼ cup milk
1 egg
1 cup mashed, fully-ripened banana (2-3 medium bananas)
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions

Mash bananas and set aside.  I just use a fork to mash them.  If the bananas are full-ripened, they will mash very easily.

Measure all ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Beat with mixer on medium (or by hand with a whisk) for 1 minute, add nuts.  Scrape sides of bowl and bottom to ensure the mixture is fully mixed. 

Pour into greased and floured loaf pans.  A 9x5x3 inch pan, or two 8.5x4.5x2.5 pans.

Bake     350 degree oven
                55-65 minutes (or toothpick clean)

No comments:

Post a Comment