Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Cherry Chip Cake Balls

Original Recipe from:  Gina Shkoukani

Cake balls are little balls of cake dipped in melted chocolate.  Delicious and decadent are two words that come to mind!  When I saw a picture and was told how easy they are to make, the baker in me just had to give it a try.  Feel free to try any flavor of cake that you want.  I used Cherry Chip because that’s my family’s favorite, and I thought they would taste like chocolate covered cherries….I was right!  The Village Taste Testers are still in awe over these delicacies!  I hope you give them a try, I know you’re going to love them.  Enjoy!



Ingredients

1 Cherry Chip Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1/2 tub of Butter Cream Frosting (I used Duncan Hines)
1 pound Milk Chocolate bits (from your local cake decorating supply store)
1/4 pound White Chocolate bits


Directions


Prepare the Cake Mix as directed on the package.  Bake in a 13x9x2 inch pan.  Let cool in the pan.

Crumble cooled Cake into a large mixing bowl.



Add 1/2 tub of the Butter Cream Frosting.  Mix thoroughly….I used my hands…it’s a little messy, but the end result is well worth the effort.  Note:  do not use any more than half of the tub or the cake balls will not form as well, nor taste as good.



Form the Cake Mixture into small balls, again I used my hands.  Freeze the cake balls for at least an hour.  Note: I made the cake balls the day before and froze them overnight.



Remove the cake balls from the freezer and insert a toothpick in each ball while frozen.  Note:  you want the cake balls to be frozen during these steps. 



Melt the Milk Chocolate and dip the Cake Balls one at a time.  Place on sheets of wax paper to harden.  The chocolate will harden quickly. 



Melt the White Chocolate while the Milk Chocolate is hardening.  The easiest way to decorate the Cake Balls with the White Chocolate is to dip a whisk into the White Chocolate and twirl the whisk over the Cake Balls.  Store your finished Cake Balls in the refrigerator until serving.  


Made 46 Cake Balls
Tips:  I prefer to melt chocolate in a double boiler instead of the microwave.  I feel the chocolate is easier to work with.  If the chocolate gets too thick, usually due to over heating, mix in a few drops of vegetable oil to make it thin again. 

Variation:  Insert sucker sticks into the cake balls before dipping in chocolate.  They make great party treats!





No comments:

Post a Comment