Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Village Vegetable Soup with Beef

Original Recipe from: Kay Johnson-Tomblin

This was originally my mother’s soup recipe but then I changed a few things, and it became my own recipe. My daughter and one of my friends will often ask if I’m feeling like making a pot of soup, and could it be Vegetable Soup, please. This soup freezes very well, so a batch will make a few meals, all for the effort of cooking only one time! Get the crackers ready; you’re going to love this soup! Enjoy!

Ingredients

64 ounces Tomato Juice
43.5 ounces (3 cans) Beef Broth (see note below)
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
2 teaspoons Oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon Black Pepper (fresh ground is best)
16 ounces frozen Vegetables for Soup (I use Freshlike)
32 ounces canned, Diced Tomatoes
16 ounces frozen, cubed Hash Brown Potatoes
15 ounces Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
1 small Pot Roast, cooked and cut into cubes

Directions

Prepare and bake the Pot Roast ahead of time. I mix one envelope of Onion Soup mix with 2 cups of water and bake until roast is very tender. Reserve the broth to use in the soup, do not strain. Cut roast into small chunks. Note: if you make the roast the day before making the soup, refrigerate the roast and broth (separate) overnight. Cutting the roast while cold from the refrigerator makes for a very easy task.

Note: Measure beef broth from the pot roast. Add additional canned Beef Broth to reach 43.5 ounces.

In a large pot, combine all ingredients (except Kidney Beans) over medium high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for an hour. Add Kidney Beans, heat through

Meatless Option:  You can omit the beef if you prefer a meatless option.  Use 3 cans of beef broth in place of the roast broth.  You will want to add onion to the recipe if you do this.  My recommendation would be a small onion diced and sauted before adding to the soup..

Kay’s Preference: I prefer my soup to cook over a low heat for at least 4 hours. The longer soup cooks the more flavorful it becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment