Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Virginia’s Motown Meat Loaf

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Bowers-Johnson

This is my mother’s famous meat loaf, and my definition of comfort food.  As a child I remember Mom serving this with mashed potatoes, green beans, bread and butter, thinking it was the best dinner ever.  My daughter, Pam, loves it so much she often asks me to mix one up for her to take home, bake and serve to her family.  When I ask why she won’t make it herself, she says:  “It won’t taste as good as yours.”  I think she’s just scamming because she knows I love to make meat loaf.  Try making one and let me know what you think.  Enjoy!





Ingredients



2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 envelope onion soup mix
1.5 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
8 ounces tomato sauce (set aside 1/3 cup)
2 eggs
1 small can evaporated milk

Directions




Mix 1/3 cup tomato sauce, eggs, and milk together to blend.  In a mixing bowl combine ground beef, dry ingredients with the liquid ingredients, mixing thoroughly.  Sorry to say there’s no better way than with your hands.  I wear gloves at this point.
                             
Form into a loaf.  Top meat loaf with remaining tomato sauce.  I prefer to use a meat loaf baking pan, but you can use any type of pan you want.

Bake:    375 degrees
45-50 minutes or until cooked through




Note:  Make ahead and refrigerate or freezing works well with this recipe.  Working moms looking for a family pleaser, give this meatloaf a try.  Mix the meat loaf the night before and then just pop it in the oven when you get home from work…so easy!  Make meatloaf sandwiches with the leftovers, great for brown-bag lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment