Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Juicy Apple Rings

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Bowers-Johnson

My mother used to make this quick and easy dessert when I was a kid.  As a working mother, she was very limited on how much time she had to get dinner on the table….with dessert, no less.  We didn’t have dessert every day, but Mother did believe that desserts were needed to make a family dinner special.  I believe it was just another way to keep the family around the table, talking and spending time together.  This dessert has no added sugar and stands on it’s own with or without ice cream.  It’s also a great recipe to let the kids help with.  I always had fun helping my Mother, and then making it on my own as I grew up.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

3 medium Apples
3-4 cups bottled, unsweetened Apple Juice

Directions

Peel and core apples.  Slice into 1/2 inch thick rings (4 from each apple). 

In a 12 inch skillet heat the Apple Juice until it bubbles, add apple rings in a single layer.  Simmer, turning once (add more apple juice, if needed), until apple rings are amber in color.  Serve warm or cold, with or without ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy to me! Just might try it later tonight...

    ReplyDelete