Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Virginia’s Apple Bars

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Bowers-Johnson

Apples are my favorite fruit, and apple season is my favorite harvest.  I love trying new apple recipes as I have yet to find one that I didn’t like.  This is a great recipe from my mother’s collection.  It is easy to make, and low in fat and sugar….so that makes it a guilt-free dessert.  What could be better?  Make up a batch of these apple bars for your friends and family, I’m sure they will like them.  Check out the variations at the bottom of the recipe.  Enjoy!



Ingredients

6 medium Apples, diced or chopped (I use slices)
2-1/4 cup Flour, divided
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Margarine
1/2 cups Quick Oats
1/2 Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Water



Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 cups Flour, Brown Sugar, Margarine, and Oats.  Mix with a pastry cutter or potato masher.  Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and set aside.  Press the remaining mixture in a 9”x13” baking pan (spray pan with cooking spray).  Spread Apples over the crust.







In a medium saucepan combine Sugar, Water, Cinnamon, and 1/4 cup Flour.  Cook until thick.  Pour over apples.  Top with reserved Oat Mixture.








Bake 45 minutes.  Makes 24 bars.

Variations: 
1)      Spread softened Cream Cheese (8 ounces) on top of the crust; then spread the apples on top of the cream cheese. 
2)      Add 1 cup of chopped walnuts to the Oatmeal Mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment