Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Grandma’s Press Cookies

Original Recipe from:  Lucy Griffin-Bowers

My sister, Margaret, and I liked to make Press Cookies for Christmas.  We would have so much fun making them together.  I mixed and baked, Margaret decorated.  Knowing that we were using the same recipe our grandma always baked made the whole experience that much more special.  Recipes from earlier generations provide comfort and continuity to our lives.  The memories of preparing and eating the food are as important as the taste and nutrition.  I cherish this recipe for that very reason.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 cup Butter or Margarine (2 sticks), softened
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
3 cups sifted Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cream together the Butter, Sugar, and Vanilla.  Add Eggs and beat well.  Add Flour and Salt and mix until blended. 

Fill Cookie Press with batter.  Press onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes.  Sprinkle with colored sugar after removing from the oven.  Cool on wire racks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment