Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reindeer Chow

Original Recipe from:  Pamela-Tomblin-Schultheis

A few years ago Pam made what she called Puppy Chow for a Christmas treat.  I immediately decided this needs to be a family tradition, but I really didn’t like the name.  Having had a few dogs in my life the idea of eating “puppy chow” was not appealing to me…so I changed the name to Reindeer Chow.  The recipe is just a tad messy, but the results are well worth it!  You will need a LOT of space unless you work in half-half batches, which can easily be done.  Since working in two batches means two kitchen cleanings, I prefer to make the entire batch.  Although if you don’t have a lot of folks to share this with; a half-batch may be just the perfect size for you.

Using treat bags Reindeer Chow makes a great gift item.  Co-workers, friends and family are always delighted when their gift includes a bag of this tasty treat.  White chocolate, salty pretzels and crunchy cereal blend together to make the perfect snack.  I promise this is a recipe to try.  Enjoy!



 
Ingredients
2-12.6 oz. bags Peanut M&M’s (holiday colors)
14 oz. box Cheerio’s
12.8 oz. box Rice Chex
1-2 (7.5 oz.) bags Bugels
1 lb. bag Mini Pretzel sticks
4 lbs. White Chocolate


Directions
Cover table or countertop with wax paper, overlapping the strips.  Note:  I have found that taping the strips together on the bottom side helps to keep the wax paper from shifting as you spread out the mix.

Mix dry ingredients together in a very large mixing bowl or baking pan.  Note:  Some people prefer to lay the mixture out on the table and pour the chocolate over the mixture on the table.  I prefer to use a mixing bowl.


At this point I actually work in quarter batches to coat the mixture with the chocolate.  I have found that it is easier for me to work the mixture and more evenly coat it with the chocolate.  I tried the mix it all on the table method and didn’t like the process at all.  I encourage you to work it in the way that works best for you. 

Melt Chocolate in a double boiler or microwave one pound at a time.  Pour Chocolate over mixture and mix to coat evenly.





Allow mixture to dry.  Break into pieces and package.  I use treat bags, but you could use tins or jars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment