Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Scotch Shortbread

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Bowers-Johnson

Unless you are fortunate enough to live near a Scottish bakery to get authentic shortbread you need to make it yourself.  Store-bought, mass-produced shortbread never tastes “just right”.  This is an old family recipe I found in my mother’s collection.  Have a pot of tea ready to serve with this delicacy.  Enjoy!

 
Ingredients
1 pound Butter
4 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar


 
Directions

Blend well.  Add Flour gradually.  Mix with hands until like pastry and press into a large cookie sheet to 1/2 inch thickness.  Prick with a fork all over.  The original recipe reads; “prick, prick, prick”.  I take that to mean…do a thorough job pricking the dough before baking. 


 
Bake in 275 degree oven for 1 hour.  Should be very light brown in color when done.  Cut while warm but leave in the pan until cool.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment