Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mrs. Scholnick’s Chocolate Apple Pie

Original Recipe from:  Diane Scholnick

The first time I tasted this pie, I knew I had to have the recipe.  Mrs. Scholnick was the wife of a gentleman for whom I worked many years.  She was a great cook and often sent leftovers to the office.  This delicious pie looks so impressive and yet is remarkable easy to make.  The Village Taste Testers give it rave reviews!  I’m sure your Taste Testers will be amazed too.  Great for family dinners, potluck events, and holidays.  Enjoy!



Ingredients

1 frozen Apple Pie, large is best.  (Mrs. Scholnick preferred Mrs. Smith’s brand)  Note:  You can also use your favorite homemade apple pie for an extra special treat. 
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1.5 cups (12 ounces) Whipping Cream
1.6 ounce chocolate bar (regular size Hershey Bar)
1 cup Nuts (Mrs. Scholnick used mixed nuts, I prefer Walnuts or Pecans)



Directions

Bake pie according to package directions and let cool.  After about an hour, invert the pie onto a serving plates (one that the rim curves up is best) and continue cooking.  Mrs. Scholnick usually makes the pie the day before completing the recipe, but you can do this all in one day.

Combine all other ingredients, except nuts, in a medium sauce pan.   

Bring to a boil for 15 minutes or until the mixture coats a wooden spoon.

.


 Add nuts and cool for 45 minutes 

Pour the chocolate mixture over the upside down pie.  Refrigerate 3-4 hours. 


Mrs. Scholnick prefers to serve the pie at room temperature (or at least with the chill off).  I like it served cold.  Either way, it’s absolutely delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment