Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Barbeque Beans

Original Recipe from:  Lucy Griffin-Bowers

I found this recipe in my grandma's hand-written recipe book from the 1950's.  Grandma always called her baked beans “Barbeque Beans”.  During the summer grilling season she would always bring her beans as her potluck dish.  They were my father’s favorite dish and she made them for him every time she visited us.  My father used to rave that no one made beans like Lucy.  I believe my mother was pretty smart, she wouldn’t make these beans for my dad; instead she kept them as a special treat her mother could make her husband when she cam to visit.  A great way to get a man excited to see his mother-in-law!  Of course Grandma always made a pan of corn bread too. 

While looking through Grandma's book, about 10 pages after this recipe, I found a note on what to add to baked beans to make them better.  I have included her note at the bottom of this recipe.  I don't know if grandma used this tip or not.  Make a batch either way or both ways and decide for yourself which you prefer.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 cups dried Navy Beans
6 cups Tomato Juice
3 teaspoons Salt
1/4 – 1/2 pound Salt Pork
1/3 cups old fashioned Dark Molasses
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
I medium Onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons Sugar (Grandma liked a good bit more sugar.  She used 1/2 – 1 cup Brown Sugar)

Directions

Wash the beans and let them soak overnight in 5 cups of Tomato Juice.  The next morning put the beans in a large pot.  Add the Salt, cover and simmer until beans are tender.  Do not let them boil. 

Pour the beans into a “Bean Pot” (or other oven-safe pot).  Wash and score the Salt Pork and press into the top of the beans.  Add all the other ingredients to the remaining 1 cup Tomato Juice and pour over the beans.  Cover Bean Pot and bake in a slow oven, 325 degrees, for 2 hours.  Then uncover the pot, lift the Salt Pork up to the top.  With the cover off, continue baking until the Salt Pork is brown, maybe another 30 minutes longer.

Tip:  Add 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon to baked beans to each 2 cups of beans, makes them good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment