Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grandma’s Raspberry Bars

Original Recipe from:  Lucy Griffin-Bowers

The original name of this recipe was “Mary’s Apricot Bars”, but I’ve taken the liberty of changing it.    I have no idea who Mary was, or how my grandma came by this recipe, but I’ve always thought of it as hers.  Since I am not a fan of apricots my grandma made them for me with raspberries instead.  My grandma was like that, if you didn’t like an ingredient, she would change it.  This recipe will work with any kind of preserves.  Try it with your favorite flavor and make it your own.  My granddaughter and I made these bars together and had the best time, check out the story here.  Enjoy!




Crust

2 cups Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Butter or Margarine
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar

Mix and press into a greased 9x13x2 inch baking pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

Filling

1 small jar Raspberry Preserves

Spread over hot crust when you remove it from the oven. 





Topping

1 Egg
1 cup Sugar
4 tablespoons Butter, melted
2 cups grated Coconut
1/2 cups chopped Nuts (Grandma used Walnuts)

Mix together and spread over the Raspberry layer.  Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 



Cool and cut in small squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment