Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Grandma’s Grape Butter

Original Recipe from:  Lucy Griffin-Bowers

This recipe comes from my grandma’s 1930’s collection.  She used to tell me stories about picking grapes off the vines and then making juice, jelly, jam and butter from them.   As a city kid, I found that amazing.  Didn’t she just buy that stuff from the grocery store?  I couldn’t imagine a life in which you had to grow and raise your own food.  If you like grape jam and jelly, I am sure you will like Grape Butter.  The recipe doesn’t specify which kind of grape to use, but I remember grandma saying she used red grapes (I don’t remember if she ever used a particular name of the grapes).  This recipe sounds absolutely delicious and very different than anything I’ve ever bought in any store.  I invite you to give it a try (I know I will).  Enjoy!

Note:  I do not have pictures for this recipe as I have not made this recipe yet.  If you need pictures of the fruit butter making process, please see my Village Peach Butter recipe.  I will post pictures of this recipe as soon as they are available. 

Ingredients

7 pounds Grapes
7 pounds Sugar
1 pound Raisins
1 pound English Walnuts
Half-pint canning jars and lids


Directions

Pop the insides out of the grapes, and cook, then run through sieve.  Take this, sugar and raisins, and cook for a while.  Then put the “outsides” in the mixture and last…put nuts in and cook until thick.  Seal and process in jars.

Kay’s Notes:  Butter is done when it sticks to the spoon.  Process jars as recommended by your canner’s instruction manual or the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning website

Important Note:  It is very important to start with a clean kitchen and to keep it clean during the cooking and canning process.  Sanitize your sink, counters and stovetop with a bleach water solution before preparing the recipe.  Clean up after each stage to maintain a clean environment.  Glass canning jars should be washed and sterilized in boiling water or run through the dishwasher using the heated drying cycle before filling with the fruit butter.  Jar lids and rings should be boiled for 5 minutes before using.  Rings can be reused multiple times, just inspect them for dents or rust (throw those away).  Jar lids can only be used once and then should be disposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment