Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Grandma’s Pickled Beets for Canning

Original Recipe from:  Lucy Griffin-Bowers

One of my mother’s favorite vegetables was beets, cooked, pickled, as a side dish, or in a salad.  You name a way to prepare beets and my mother loved them just that way.  Unfortunately, I never developed the same passion for beets.  Left to my own tastes, I probably wouldn’t have included any beet recipes on this blog.  Fortunately, I am not the only one who decides which recipes get posted.  You, the readers of this blog, have a voice in what I post.  Blog follower, Michelle, requested this recipe and several more chimed in when she made the request.  So, Beet Lovers, here you are.  This recipe was in Grandma’s 1930’s recipe collection.  Enjoy!


Ingredients and Directions (in Grandma’s words)

10 pounds Beets
2 cups Sugar
3 cups (24 ounces) White Vinegar
1 tablespoon Salt. 
1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Wash and peel Beets.  If Beets are large, cut into quarters.

Add all ingredients, except the beets, into a large stock pot and bring it to a boil.  Add beets and continue cook at a low boil for 20 minutes.  Fill jars with Beets while hot.  Pour hot brine over the beets in the jars leaving 1/2 inch head room.  Put lids on jars and process.

Kay’s Notes:  Process jars as recommended by your canner’s instruction manual or the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning website.   

2 comments:

  1. I will add some dill and some onions to mine and I cut the beets into quarters...PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I thought it needed some dill and onions too! Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete