Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Village Barbeque Sauce

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Bowers

This is a recipe I forgot about for years.  I used to make it, stopped because I fell for the convenience of just buying a bottle off the shelf.  My excuse was that I was busy and didn’t have time to make everything from scratch.  What I didn’t realize was the amount of sodium and high fructose sugar is in so many of those convenient choices.  Now, in an effort to be more responsible with my diet, I started to make my own recipes, and those of my family.  The very interesting thing is that I’ve learned it really isn’t that time consuming to make my own, and I’m healthier for it.  If you have your fallen for the convenience of bottled sauce, I challenge you to try making your own.  Try a few different recipes, make some additions of your favorite spices and make one of your own.  Have some fun and be healthier in the process.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

15 ounce Tomato Sauce
2 cups packed, Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Celery Seed
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
2 teaspoons Oregano leaves
1 teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves

Directions

In a medium sauce pan mix all ingredients thoroughly.  Heat to a low boil; then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer until thickened.  

Note:  You can double this recipe and refrigerate extra for your next barbeque.  Now, that’s convenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment