Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Village Apple Butter

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Tomblin

Apple Butter is my absolute favorite fruit butter.  Growing up I remember my mother asking my grandmother to make some apple butter for her.  My grandmother, who’s canning days were far behind her, told her to make it herself.  My mother, who never canned anything, never made apple butter.  As a result I never learned how from any family member.  I figured apple butter must be pretty hard to make if Grandma and Mother wouldn’t make it.  As an adult I had learned to can vegetables and make jams, but I stayed away from fruit butters, because I thought they were too hard.  Then a few years ago, I decided I was up to the challenge.  I had, what seemed to me, a pretty easy recipe.  I also had some advice…it’s not hard; it just takes a long time.  So, with that in mind, I decided to give it a try.  After all it is my favorite.  Well, I’m proud to say that my first attempt was a stellar success!  Like all of my canning treats, I give jars away for gift-giving occasions.  My village of dear friends and family now look forward to my annual Apple Butter, and let me know when they are running low (or completely out) on their supply.

Apple Butter tastes different depending on what type of apples you use.  My favorite apple is McIntosh.  McIntosh apples are not available in all parts of the country, but are plentiful in Michigan.  You just want to use an apple that holds its flavor when cooked.  If you are purchasing your apples from an orchard, don’t be afraid to ask which apples will work best.  Some cooks like to mix two or three types of apples for their butters.  Have fun and experiment.  Cooking times always vary depending on the water content of the fruit and how it reduces as it cooks. 

Making Apple Butter is not hard, there are only a few ingredients, but it does take a lot of time.  I encourage you to give it a try, at least once in your life.  There is something so satisfying about opening a jar of fruit butter and serving it to your friends and family knowing that you made it yourself!  Serve it with steaming hot biscuits, over French toast or waffles, as a breakfast or dinner treat.  It’s also great with afternoon teatime.  This is my recipe.  My Grandma’s recipe is very similar, but she didn’t add cinnamon to hers.  Feel free to make it either way.  Enjoy!

Note:  I do not have pictures for this recipe as I have not made this year’s batch yet.  If you need pictures, please see my Village Peach Butter recipe.  Apple Butter cooks and cans like Peach Butter.  I will post pictures with this recipe soon. 

Ingredients

1/2 bushel ripe Apples.  I use McIntosh Apples, but any good cooking apple will work.  Note:  you can do a bushel at a time, but I prefer to work in smaller batches)
Sugar
Cinnamon
Vinegar
Half-pint canning jars and lids

Directions

Wash Apples in cold water.  Peel and core apples.  Cut into chunks. 

Put apple chunks in large pan with 2 cups of water.  Note:  If using McIntosh apples, omit the water.  McIntosh’s have a lot of water in them and adding water will increase your cooking time.  Cook on a medium heat until you get a pulp.

Measure apple pulp and add sugar.  The ratio of sugar to apple pulp is 50% (i.e., for 8 cups of pulp use 4 cups of sugar).  Note:  you can use less sugar if desired, but I wouldn’t recommend less than 25% (2 cups sugar).  Add 4-5 tablespoons Cinnamon and 2 tablespoons Vinegar (White or Cider Vinegar)

Pour Apple Pulp/Sugar mixture into a large pot or large electric skillet.  Heat to a low boil then reduce heat to a low simmer.  Simmer until it reduces (cooks down) to about half.  As it cooks the mixture will get thicker and will require frequent stirring to keep from burning.  Frequent stirring is vital to the success of your butter.  Start out stirring every 15 minutes, then more often as it thickens (every 5 minutes at the final stage).  I have the best success with an electric skillet at 275 degrees; it is the fastest method and allowed me to control the temperature more precisely.  Taste test the butter as it starts to get pretty thick.  Add more sugar if needed for your taste.

Note:  Once you have started cooking the pulp, you have to continue the process all the way through canning.  I have done the skinning and pulp stages on one day and stored it in the refrigerator.  Then the next morning I add the sugar and cook, then can the apple butter.  I would not recommend more than 24 hours between making the pulp and cooking the butter.

The butter is done when it sticks to the spoon.  Note:  if you prefer a smoother butter, use an immersion blender at this stage.  I personally prefer the smoother butter. 

Hot-pack in sterilized glass jars.  Process the jars in a Boiling-Water Bath (boil for 20 minutes), or in a Pressure Canner (5 pounds pressure for 10 minutes).  Note:  I prefer to use a pressure canner, but either method is safe.  After processing, put the hot jars in a spot where they will not be disturbed for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, test each jar to ensure they are sealed by pressing down on the center of the lid.  If the lid doesn’t move, the jar is sealed.  If you have a jar that hasn’t sealed, it is still good to eat just store it in the refrigerator. 

Important Note:  It is very important to start with a clean kitchen and to keep it clean during the cooking and canning process.  Sanitize your sink, counters and stovetop with a bleach water solution before preparing the recipe.  Clean up after each stage to maintain a clean environment.  Glass canning jars should be washed and sterilized in boiling water or run through the dishwasher using the heated drying cycle before filling with the fruit butter.  Jar lids and rings should be boiled for 5 minutes before using.  Rings can be reused multiple times, just inspect them for dents or rust (throw those away).  Jar lids can only be used once and then should be disposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment