Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Village Swiss Steak

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Tomblin

When I told my son, Scott, that I was posting this recipe he said; “Oh, that’s my favorite, it’s so good with noodles!”  Like my son, I have fond memories of my mother’s Swiss steak, served to her family with love.  Her recipe is just a little different and I preferred this one….and that’s OK.  You don’t always have to make a dish the same way it’s always been made.  You can tweak it and make it your own, or you can love it just the way it’s written.  Either way, I hope you…..Enjoy!

Ingredients

4 Cubed Steaks
2 tablespoons Olive Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
1 large Onion, sliced
8 ounces Beef Broth
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Directions

In large skillet, brown steaks in Olive Oil.  When brown, remove steaks from the skillet and set aside.

Stir onion into the drippings and sauté until soft.  Stir in Beef Broth and heat to boiling.  Place steaks back in the skillet, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.

Blend soup and mayonnaise in a small bowl, stir into mixture in the skillet.  Cover again and simmer for 15 minutes. 

Serve over Medium or Large Noodles.  Arrange noodles around a serving platter, placing steaks in the center.  Spoon gravy over the top and sprinkle with Parsley.  This dish makes a great presentation on your dinner table.

Note:  Also great with rice instead of the noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment