Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Water Chestnuts & Bacon

Original Recipe from:  Virginia Johnson-Tomblin

My mother had the best appetizer recipes thanks to the catering part of her work.  These delicacies are so easy to make and will make a most impressive addition to your menu for a family dinner or party.  The Village Taste Testers loved this recipe and I’m sure you will too.  Enjoy!



Ingredients and Directions

8 ounce can of sliced Water Chestnuts
1/2 pound bacon, cut in half


Wrap bacon around two sliced Water Chestnuts.  Secure with tooth picks.



Bake in 350 degree oven until bacon is crisp, approximately 30 minutes. Note:  I use a rack in my pan to keep the Water Chestnuts from sitting in the bacon fat.  Do not remove toothpicks.



Sauce

1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Chili Sauce

Mix ingredients by hand until well blended. 

Place Water Chestnuts in a glass baking dish and pour the sauce over them. 

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Serve warm.

Makes approximately 15  

No comments:

Post a Comment