Welcome

Welcome to Kay's Village Recipes! Some believe the heart of the home is in the kitchen, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the village. It takes a “village” to live life to its fullest and it has nothing to do with geography or how large or small a town you live in. My “village” is inhabited by family members, dear friends, co-workers, and the occasional visitor who is in my life for a short period of time. Each one of these people has a profound impact on my emotional wellbeing as well as the quality of my life, and all have one thing in common…they all love to eat, and I love to cook for them.
On this blog you will find free, family recipes for: homemade soups, breads, apple pie, cakes, candies, snacks, casseroles, main courses, side dishes, appetizers, breakfast, home-style cooking, and so much more.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Yellow Cake

Original Recipe from:  Kay Johnson-Tomblin

When I was younger I never made box cakes.  I felt that if it was worth baking, it should be from scratch.  Then life got busy.  I was a working mother with two children and I started cutting corners.  While there is nothing wrong with a box cake, there is really no reason not to make a cake from scratch.  It only takes a couple of minutes longer and there is no difference in the difficulty factor.  Sometimes I still reach for a box, but now I’m more apt to whip up one from scratch…..it’s like I’ve come full circle in my life.  Enjoy!



Ingredients

2 cups Flour
1-1/2 cups Sugar
3-1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup shortening (Vegetable Oil, Crisco, Butter or Margarine)
2 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 eggs



Directions

Beat all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds.  Then increase speed to high for 3 minutes, continue scraping bowl frequently.

Pour cake mix into greased and floured baking pans (13x9x2 pan, round cake pans, or cupcake pan)

Bake in 350 degree oven:  Oblong pan 30-40 minutes.  Round pans 20-30 minutes.  Cupcakes 20-25 minutes.  All times are approximate, bake until toothpick comes out clean.

Note:  If using Self-Rising Flour, omit Baking Powder and Salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment